A back pain sufferer died after accidentally overdosing on morphine due to a computer labelling error on his prescription drug bottle, an inquest has heard.
Hamish Hardie, 30, was prescribed Oramorph, a brand of liquid morphine, after suffering from two slipped discs, but he overdosed as there was no exact dosage on the bottle prescribed.
His mother, Mary-Anne Hardie, who administered the medication, said her son had been ‘badly let down,’ after a computer error went unnoticed by a trainee GP and a pharmacist’s dispenser.
The error meant she followed instructions on the bottle to ‘use as directed,’ meaning more frequent and higher doses were given – on top of the dihydrocodeine and diazepam prescriptions Hamish was also taking to treat his pain.
As a result, the Leeds University graduate died at his family’s home in Wisborough Green, West Sussex, last August –